- 1.5 lbs. organic beef or lamb stew meat
- 3 tablespoons organic grass fed butter or ghee
- 1 large organic onion finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic crushed 1/2 inch ginger + 2 cloves garlic OR 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder + 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 3 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (if using Berbere blend, check for salt in ingredients)
- 1 cup water
- Berbere Seasoning blend if you want to make it yourself- this is used in many Ethiopian dishes
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek
- 1/2 cup ground dried New Mexico chiles
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
Prep: Using a mini food processor, pulse together onion chunks and ginger-garlic, 8-10 times. Alternatively, finely chop them.
Turn the insta pot on Sauté mode. Wait 30 seconds until the inner pot is hot and add butter or ghee. Add chopped onion, ginger-garlic, turmeric and salt and cook till slightly caramelized, about a minute.
Add all dry spices, tomato paste and 1/4 cup water, stir well and cook for a minute. Then, add the remaining water and meat cubes in the pot. Press “cancel”, close the lid and set valve to ‘Sealing’ position. Press Meat/Stew, 40 minutes. Wait for Natural release of pressure.
Open Insta pot and serve with couscous with a garden salad dressed with fresh lemon vinaigrette, or, the traditional sourdough flatbread, Injera.
You can also make this dish on the stove-top, using a sauce pot or dutch oven. Use a heavy bottom pan, since that can evenly distribute the heat and withstand a longer cooking time.
Simply follow all the instructions above. Cook the meat on medium heat for 35-45 minutes. Remember to stir every 5-7 minutes or so, till the meat is fork tender.